Review for previous edition: This is a concentrated burst of thoughtful analysis and practical pointers. Self-contained chapters draw on the insights and experience of a credible cross-section of specialists in talent development.
The second edition of Managing Talent for Success is full of best practices and ideas to implement in law firms in order to maintain high levels of motivation and to adapt to change. A must read.
Successful talent management approaches in law firms focus on creating the conditions for lawyers to thrive and succeed rather than on "managing talent" in the traditional sense. This book reveals the various strategies that law firms of all sizes can take to foster and maintain their lawyers’ naturally high level of motivation and search for excellence so that they can deploy their full potential, collaborate and be fit to constantly adapt to change.
Following trends seen in other knowledge intensive industries, a number of leading law firms have, in the last few years, started to shift their perspective and initiated interesting changes, particularly in the way they manage performance or consider career progressions.
The second edition of this book, coordinated by Rebecca Normand-Hochman on behalf of the International Bar Association, explores the various elements of what law firms can do to "manage talent" in the most effective ways as well as to overcome the challenges that firms often encounter in their efforts. Topics covered include setting the foundations of a successful talent management strategy, new approaches to managing performance, leading lawyers through change, effective teamwork and collaboration, cultural intelligence and how to develop innovative mindsets for future challenges.
Chapters provide practical guidance from experts internationally to help law firm leaders and partners create the conditions for their teams and themselves to develop to the highest levels of success. This book will also be of interest to learning and development specialists and to emerging leaders seeking to understand what will be required of them to inspire others to thrive.
- The keys to building a successful talent strategy
- New approaches to performance management
- Partner selection and promotion in large law firms
- Developing partners as managers and leaders
- Using smart collaboration to achieve your strategic business and talent goals
- The role of personality in lawyer development
- Mentoring in the law firm
- Lateral partner onboarding and integration
Also new to this edition:
- Understand why collaboration has become a competitive advantage of prime importance and how firms can overcome the challenge of lawyers' need for independence and autonomy
- Learn ways in which innovative mindsets can be cultivated at all levels of seniority to face the challenges of today and tomorrow
- Sets out a partnership selection process designed to maximise the prospects of making the right choices at the promotion point and describes a career-long development structure which will help firms prepare their associates to make the transition to 'partner' effectively, as well as looking at managing expectations and alternative career paths
- Highlights the many benefits of mentoring in the law firm to mentees, mentors and the culture more generally, providing useful information for those trying to get buy-in to implement or improve their mentoring program
- Learn how to improve performance as a manager and leader including how to keep lawyers engaged through a deeper understanding of lawyer personality
- Consideration of the ever increasingly important role of EQ in leading firms where the majority are working remotely. Understand how leveraging EQ helps leaders listen, focus and understand what is needed to build mutual support, trust, loyalty and individual and firm resilience