Editor(s): Jon Moorhouse - Keystone Law
Publication date: Jun 2022
Format: A4 Softback
Discounted Price: £71.25
Intellectual property has always played a key role supporting the protection and exploitation of technology and brands of businesses operating in the energy sector. The management of IP is arguably more important than ever as we transition to more renewable energy sources and reduced emissions, and see an energy market increasingly disrupted by start-ups challenging the dominance of the traditional oil and gas majors.
This Special Report looks at the challenges and opportunities that intellectual property issues present for different areas of this broad and rapidly changing sector, including:
- Upstream: exploration and production of hydrocarbons across the full lifecycle of oil and gas fields.
- Downstream: oil and gas processing technology and resulting differentiated fuel and lubricant products.
- Renewables: a look at the role of IP in supporting renewables businesses, with a spotlight on a solar start-up.
- Digitalisation: the transformational impact of artificial intelligence and machine learning on the sector as a whole and how IP rights underpin this.
- Standard essential patents: how patents on wireless interoperability, at one time solely the domain of the telecoms industry, are increasingly applicable in the energy sector, and the licensing challenges this raises.
- Brand and reputation: how energy businesses seek to protect and exploit their brands and reputations as well as their technology, in order to differentiate themselves in an intensely competitive market.
This report is essential reading for legal advisers and anyone in a commercial role dealing with the energy sector who is seeking a deeper understanding of the vital role intellectual property plays in shaping and achieving business objectives.