Consulting editor(s): Richard Williams, Arabella Murphy and Toby Graham
Publication date: Aug 2017
Length: 448 pages
Each chapter is tersely written, to get to the nub of the issues and the book includes chapters devoted to practice in various non-Australian jurisdictions including England...
, Read more...
In my view, ‘A Practical Guide to the Transfer of Trusteeships’ is the most relevant and, therefore, important work in the whole area of trusts and trusteeships.
This text, first published by STEP in 2007 and now in its third edition, reviews the difficulties that arise on the transfer of trusteeships, particularly in respect of the negotiation of indemnities, and sets out a suggested approach. It contains:
- A core section dealing with trusts governed by English law;
- Jurisdictional chapters, which explain the differences under local law for trusts governed by the laws of The Bahamas, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Hong Kong, the Isle of Man, Jersey, New Zealand and Singapore;
- Precedent deeds of change of trustee for each of those jurisdictions;
- A detailed drafting commentary;
- A U.S. commentary which outlines general principles involved in the transfer of trusteeships of U.S. trusts and general tendencies among states, with a particular focus on the trusteeship laws of the State of New York; and
- A table of references listing the statutes and cases, for ease of reference.
The text is an essential reference work for any legal practitioners, trust company professionals and others involved in advising on the transfer of trusteeships.